I never realized my blog didn’t have the basic Vanilla Cupcake recipe/post until my sister called me asking for it. ITs the basic of baking and I had none in my blog arsenal although I was using quite a few different recipes with different ingredients and options.
Better late than ever, Here is the simplest of the simple Vanilla Cupcakes which uses Butter as the main ingredient for that rich taste of awesomeness and Sour cream for that soft and moist texture!
I like my bakes warm and yummy right out of the oven. These babies don’t disappoint and you cant stop after one if Vanilla is your weakness like me.
The main ingredients I use are the butter (for richness) and Sour cream (for softness). The butter can replaced with oil but more like half and half. Don’t replace it completely with oil as the buttery richness factor can be majorly missed and felt immediately. Also the sour cream can be replaced with greek yogurt although I have not tried that option.
This recipe makes more like 18 cupcakes depending on how you fill them. I don’t like big domes so, I don’t overfill the cupcake liners.
I made the simplest Vanilla Buttercream to go with it without any food colors to bring that super Vanilla feature into focus. Feel free to use whatever you like and desire!
Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream!
Rich, Soft and perfect Vanilla Cupcakes!
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour 213g
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200g
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter 170 g, melted
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract 15mL
- 1/2 cup sour cream 120mL, room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole milk 120mL, warm
- 2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 tsp whole milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in the cupcake pan. Keep it aside.
- Add the flour, sugar salt, baking soda and powder into a large bowl, and mix together.
- In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Distribute the batter evenly into cupcake papers, filling each paper with about 2/3rd of the liner.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- If you are going to decorate with buttercream, wait until they are completely cooled. For the Buttercream:
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together.
- Add in the confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time.
- Add salt, milk, cream and vanilla. Mix until smooth and fluffy. Add more milk for smoother texture and more sugar for harder one.
- Transfer to a piping bag to decorate and top with sprinkles.
- Do not replace the butter completely. Go for 50-50 mix if the cupcakes have to be moist.
- Buttercream can have only heavy cream instead of milk and gives extra creaminess to the buttercream.
- This recipe makes more like 18 cupcakes depending on how you fill them. I don’t like big domes so, I don’t overfill the cupcake liners.
IF you enjoy this post, please don’t forget to share, comment and connect!