A savory better yet spicy snack is what we love with our Indian Tea in the evening.
Its true, most of the Indians have the tea religiously between 4-6 pm every single day. Its kind of no-exception tradition for most of us. I personally look forward to my tea time in the evening and the savory snack that goes with it.
Savory snacks like Egg puffs, chivda, quinoa or sweet potato chips, banana chips and this puffed rice snacks accompany most of our teas. While sometimes I like to go for pick me ups like healthy chips, I love to make a snack that hardly takes 10 mins to make and absolutely yummy to go with hot tea.
This snack is made on stove top with simple ingredients. You can get puffed rice at any Indian store or even online at very reasonable price.
Spicy Puffed rice snack
Savory & Spicy evening snack to accompany your hot tea!!!
- 4 cups of Puffed rice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbs Cumin seeds
- 2 green chilies split in half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 spring curry leaves (Optional)
- 1/ 4 tsp Citric acid powder or 1 tbsp lemon juice (Optional)
- In a large skillet on medium flame, add oil. Once it is hot, add cumin seeds, turmeric, chilies and fry for 5-10 seconds.
- Add salt, peanuts, curry leaves and roast for 10-15 secs. Reduce the flame to low, add puffed rice and roast the puffed rice around to coat well with turmeric-salt mixture. Check salt and take it off the heat.
- If using, add citric acid powder at the beginning with salt.
- Or lemon juice at the end just before you switch off the heat.
- Variations could be addition of chat powder or garam masala powder along with peanuts and salt. Enjoy!!
Have you made this recipe? If so, please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on: firstname.lastname@example.org