Is it too early to start enjoying Christmas cookies with Halloween leftover candy?
Not really…….Am I right?
With stores and malls already pushing Christmas stuff on us much before Halloween was over, I feel I am little late to the party of Christmas celebrations. But I wanted to wait till Halloween as I know the leftover candy can be put to good use for making other goodies.
Coming to the candy, how many of you parents hate these gummy bears?
Sure, they are
- Made in fun colors
- Made with fruit juice
- have no fat
- little protein
- good workout teeth
I am one of you. I cant stand them but my little one really loves it and doesn’t mind munching on it all days of the year. So, if they are going to enjoy them, they might as well be in some cookies. Right?
If you would like to know, here are the flavors available in gummies.
Flavors include: Cherry, Pink Grapefruit, Watermelon, Strawberry, Orange, Blue Raspberry, Lime, Grape, Green Apple, Mango, Pineapple & Lemon
I initially saw this idea of using gummy bears into cookies in a magazine. But the recipe was calling for way too much sugar and butter. I wasn’t ready to add more sugar into already sugar laid candy. So, I took the shortbread cookie route which will use less sugar but taste great.
I swapped the all purpose flour to whole wheat stuff to make it bit more healthy. The hearts are old idea but I thought why cant we use it for Christmas to make these to your loved ones and show them how much you adore them on this Christmas.
With that, I want to start baking. Recipe below folks.
Healthy Gummy bear cookies
Easy Gummy bear cookies- Using Halloween leftover candy
- 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup butter – room temp
- pinch of salt
- 5-6 gummy bears
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Prepare the baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat sheet and keep it ready. .2 In a kitchenaid bowl, add butter and sugar and mix it until light and creamy. Add egg yolk, flour and salt and mix till it becomes soft.
- If the dough is sticky, place it in freezer for 15 mins. Otherwise proceed to next step.
- Take 1 tbsp of dough, roll and then press them into small cookies. Place them on the cookie sheet. Make small indentations like heart with back of the spoon. Make sure they are deep, otherwise the gummy bear will overflow.
- Cut each bear into 4 parts using a sharp knife. Its not easy-trust me.
- Place 2 of same color or different colors in the cookie.
- Bake for 10 mins or until edges are lightly brown. Take them out of the oven and let them stand on the baking sheet for another 15 mins.
- Transfer to wire rack once they harden a bit. Enjoy!!!
Have you made this recipe? If so, please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on: firstname.lastname@example.org