Star Ingredients: Carrots, Apple sauce, whole wheat
Chocolate chip cookies, Chocolate chip muffins, Chocolate chip pancakes, Chocolate chip waffles….yeah, yeah that’s a lot of chocolate chips in everything that goes into our tummies. I don’t hate chocolate chips, I just want a break from a particular ingredient few times. Sometimes, we crave the simple food with healthy ingredients. I crave to bake it more than to eat.
For some reason, carrots are least liked at my home. I add them in pancakes, breakfasts, tortillas, fried rice and more. But I also like them to be a star ingredient than as a side. If you are a health nut, you know what I mean.
Its a simple recipe to combine wet and dry ingredients separately and then combine together to form the batter. Of course I had to add some chocolate eggs on the top which I saw on the counter just before baking. But I suggest to add any chocolate after baking.
These muffins are made as
- Vegan (Egg free)
- Veggie – Fruit (carrots and apples)
- Nuts (Pecans & Almonds)
- Seeds (Flax seeds)
- Healthy Fats (Avocado oil)
- Grains (Whole wheat)
Mmm…Did we check all boxes? Yes we did. Now, I am happy.
Carrot Apple Muffins
Vegan Carrot Apple Muffins
- Whole Wheat flour – 1 cup
- All purpose flour – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Grated Carrot – 1 cup
- Apple sauce – 3/4 cup
- Chopped Pecans – 1/4 cup
- Almond Milk – 1/2 cup
- Avocado oil – 1/2 cup
- 2 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp warm water)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Line the muffin tray with liners and keep it aside. Make the Flax egg and leave it to thicken.
- In a large bowl, add flours, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking salt and combine well.
- In a second bowl, add milk, oil, flax eggs and apple sauce and combine well.
- Add grated carrots and pecans and mix until combine.d Add these wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix them well.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups till 3/4th full. Bake for 23 mins or until the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Take out the muffin tray and leave muffins in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to the cooling rack.
- Muffins are good on the kitchen counter for 2 days or 4 days in fridge. These muffins freeze beautifully for 3 months.
Have you made this recipe? If so, please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.
If you enjoyed this post, please do not forget to subscribe.