Star Ingredients: Whole Wheat Flour, buttermilk and Chocolate chips
Pairing of Vanilla & Chocolate has been done time and time again and it will continue for the next hundred years I guess. But what intrigues me, is they gel so well and taste so much better when paired together than separate. At least in my opinion.
This recipe was created with my simple vanilla cake as the base. But changes have been done to get that muffin texture which will also accommodate healthy dose of chocolate chips. Also we use only baking powder as leavening agent instead of both baking soda and baking powder.
Mini chocolate chips are preferred in this recipe to get that bakery style looks on top of your muffins. Ofcourse I use less chocolate chips than the traditional recipes as this is healthy recipe but I do decorate them with more than needed on the top to compensate the less chips inside the muffin.
These muffins are good for snacks, breakfast, take along for games and activities or to share with your friends and soccer teams. Sharing is caring.
STORAGE: The muffins stay fresh for 5 days in airtight container. They freeze beautifully in a Ziploc for 2 months. When ready to enjoy them, Simply pop them in microwave for 20 secs. You are good to go.
Lets get baking !!
Whole Wheat Vanilla Chocolate Chip muffins
Healthy Whole Wheat Vanilla Muffins with Chocolate Chips, that looks like muffins but taste like cake
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup
- All Purpose Flour – 3/4 cup
- Butter – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Baking Powder – 2 tsps.
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla – 1.5 tsp
- Buttermilk – 3/4 cup
- Mini Chocolate Chips – 1/4 cup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Line the muffin tray with paper cups or spray with oil.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, oil and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add Vanilla, eggs and beat it one more time.
- Add both Flours, baking powder and let it mix thoroughly.
- Add Buttermilk and mix well. Add the chocolate chips and mix it until combined. Don’t overmix it.
- Fill the muffin cups till they are 3/4 full and top them with few more choc chips.
- Bake for 20 mins. Toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean or with few crumbs.
- Let them stand in the tray for 5 mins, then transfer them onto cooling rack. Enjoy !!
Have you made this recipe? If so, please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.