Star Ingredients: Tofu, Red bell Pepper, spring onions, Curry Masala & Dry Mango powder
Do you struggle to pack nutritious & healthy food in lunch box for your family? I do.
You see, I like warm and comforting food right out of the oven or just made on cooktop. I am very strongly opiniated that the food taste changes as it cools down and I hate to eat cold food except for desserts.
So, its been kind of struggle for me to pack lunches that are healthy but also taste nice and yummy by lunch time. With that in mind, I am scratching some of the lunch box ideas which I have been using and learning.
Tofu scramble is one of those varieties which is great to eat as-is but also a great lunch idea when presented as sandwich or quesadilla or frankie for kids. This is a stove top version, no need for oven.
What’s more, add few vegetables which they don’t eat raw for that added nutrition which is always needed.
Its slightly crunchy with addition of red pepper, soft and silky which is tofu and heartening with addition of spices like turmeric & curry masala powders. And a very good alternative for paneer yet with same protein rich scenario. You cant go wrong with it.
Tofu Vegetable Scramble
Tofu Scramble with Vegetables
- Firm Tofu – 1 pack (14 oz)
- Red Bell pepper – 1
- Spring onions – 1 bunch
- Medium Onion – 1/2
- Curry Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Avocado or other oil – 1 tbsp
- Dry Mango powder – 1/2 tsp
- 1.Take the Tofu from the package, clean it under the water and wrap it with clean kitchen towel. Now put some really heavy weight like a big book on the top so that the kitchen towel absorbs all the moisture from the Tofu. Leave it for 20 mins.
- Scramble the tofu into tiny pieces. Add Turmeric to the bowl and toss it around.
- Cut the red pepper and spring onions into 1 inch pieces. And onion needs to be cut into small pieces.
- In a pan, add oil and once it is heated, add onions and fry them. Add a pinch of salt to soften them and cook faster.
- Once the onions are pink, add bell pepper and fry them. After 2 minutes, add spring onions and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the scrambled Tofu and toss it around to cook evenly. Do not cover the pan.
- After 5-7 mins, once the tofu and peppers are cooked, add the chilli powder, dry mango powder, curry masala powder and mix it around. Sprinkle salt and mix well.
- The tofu scramble is ready to enjoy as is but can also be used in sandwiches, tortillas or as a side for rice dishes.
- Tofu can be replaced with paneer.
- Curry masala can be replaced with Garam Masala
Have you made this recipe? If so, please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.