Star ingredients: Almonds, Saffron & Cardamom
Have you ever googled “Benefits of Energy drinks”? Try it, the first page loads with more bad news than good.
In the age of Protein shakes and energy shots, I want to go back to the roots of the energy drinks we grew up with. Start with all natural, healthy, easy to find, cost effective and something always available in most pantries.
Natural food in any form is very beneficial to mind, body and your pocket too. Its the age old truth….nothing newly invented. But sometimes going back in time to reinvent and reuse the natural powerful stuff does have its own benefits.
Saffron-Almond Milk is one such jewel which needs to be in this category. In India, women start taking saffron from the beginning of the pregnancy. But personally I think, Saffron Milk can be taken everyday by anyone as long as there are not medical issues.
Saffron Milk combined with Almonds would give us even more richness and health benefits, we can definitely make a switch to this energy drink.
Almonds:Super Food, Helps to lower blood sugar level, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Promotes weight loss & reduces hunger.
Saffron: Improves sleep patterns, respiratory health, boosts heart health, strengthen bones and improves immune function.
Cardamom: Aids in curing kidney stones, stomach ailments. Used as mouth freshner and also helps in digestion.
Healthy & Tasty saffron-Almond Milk.
- Almonds – 1/2 cup
- Saffron – 1 tsp
- Cardamom – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- In a medium pan on low heat, toast the almonds for 5 mins. Let the almonds cool completely.
- In a Food processor, blend the almonds, saffron and cardamom until powdered.
- Add Sugar and blend it one more time. The milk powder is ready.
- To make the saffron milk, warm or boil 1 cup of milk.
- Add 1-2 tbsp. of milk powder and stir to combine. Let it come to room temperature.
- For the cold beverage, follow the same method, let it come to room temperature and then chill it for 1 hour. Enjoy !!
- The saffron milk can be taken hot or cold.
- The milk powder stays fresh in air-tight container for 1 month or 3 months in fridge.
- The same recipe can be made with blanched almonds too.
- You can skip the sugar and add the desired sweetener once the powder is completely mixed.
- Other nuts like cashews and pistas can be added too.
Have you made these recipe? If so, please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.